In the Apple iPhone 12 series, a revolution was expected – the abandonment of Lightning in favor of USB Type-C (or a complete rejection of wired charging).
As a result, there were no revolutions – except for the headphones and charger that were not put in the box. This is an ordinary update for Apple smartphones, but still with some interesting solutions.
Wide Range of Colors
At the moment there are 5 colors: black, white, red, green and a completely new color – blue or deep blue. Here are short color description:
- Black: A classic color, but there is one nuance here. The new line has given it a light blue or perhaps even purple hue. Not everyone will like this option. Surprising fact: on the box of the smartphone, the edges are not black, but dark purple.
- White: Also a more classic color with a yellowish tint, close to ivory. Frames of the same color.
- Green: Last year’s iPhone 11 looked livelier in the same color. The color has now become duller.
- Red: Also slightly dimmer, but still looks pretty good.
- Blue: A completely new color, there is even some depth. To understand all its uniqueness, you need to look at the device live, since a photo or video is not able to convey its real colors.
High-Quality Display Due to OLED Technology
The screen has changed and become more colorful. Bright, very rich, the picture itself is very clear at 1080p and well-detailed.
Brightness has not changed – 625 versus 800 nits for the Pro models. But the maximum value of both gadgets is 1200 nits. This makes iPhones 12 fully functional in bright sunlight.
The new OLED screen in the Apple iPhone 12 lineup has a resolution of 2532-by-1170 pixels and a density of 460 pixels per inch. For comparison, the iPhone 11 screen had a resolution of 1792 x 828 pixels, and its density was 326 pixels per inch.
Cameras Significantly Updated
A major new addition to the Apple iPhone 12 lineup after the redesign is the camera. iPhone 12 64/256/512, iPhone 12 PRO, and iPhone 12 mini have identical main and ultra-wide modules. The iPhone 12, like last year, is equipped with two lenses: a standard 12MP wide-angle and a 12MP ultra-wide-angle.
This solution has its disadvantages:
- There is no optical zoom at all. You can only use 3x for video recording, and 5x for photos;
- The details when zooming in the frame have become a little less. Although this year the company did a good job of detailing the final image;
- There is no possibility of shooting night portraits. The camera does not support this function – The LIDAR sensor is required;
- The lens properties will be the same in the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 PRO.
The ultra-wide-angle camera allows you to capture 2x more objects for shooting photos and videos. If you shoot a regular video in quiet shooting conditions, the shaking will be almost invisible.
A14 is the Real Power
Apple has really been making quality mobile processors for years. This is confirmed by the benchmark tests carried out. Take Geekbench, for example, single-core was rated at 1593 points, while multi-core was rated at 3859 points. Such results are not given by any smartphone on Android.
The leading word in the autumn presentation of the Apple iPhone 12 was 5G. This is an important innovation that allows you to work in networks with a speed of at least 1 Gbit/s.