Anna Akana is an American actress, filmmaker, author and comedian. She is known for her YouTube channel, which has over 2.5 million subscribers and over 226 million video views. Akana first started performing comedy at the age of 19 but ended up switching her platform to YouTube in 2011 after experiencing massive panic attacks and anxiety before going on stage.
Anna Kay Akana
Actress, Filmmaker, Comedian, YouTuber
Birthday / Date of Birth
Anna Akana was born on August 18, 1989, in California, United States.
She is currently 29 years old.
She has English, French, Spanish, German, Irish, Hawaiian, Japanese and Filipino ancestry.
Her religious views aren’t known.
Anna Akana decided to drop out of college after the first semester as she wanted to focus on her comedic career.
- Father – William Akana (The United States Marine Corps Officer)
- Mother – Mia Akana
- Siblings – Kristina Akana (Younger Sister) (Committed suicide at the age of 13 on the Valentine’s Eve in 2007), Will Akana (Brother) (Works on Anna’s videos)
Boyfriend / Spouse
Anna Akana has dated –
- Ray William Johnson (2011-2014) – Anna Akana started going out with fellow YouTuber Ray William Johnson in 2011. During the course of their relationship, they collaborated on many YouTube projects including Riley Rewind, in which they touched upon suicide and bullying in high schools. However, in July 2014, she took to her Facebook account to reveal that they were no longer together. Ray later revealed that they had ended their relationship back in May 2014.
- Brad Gage (2014-2017) – Akana started dating the actor and comedian, Brad Gage in 2014. Their courtship came to an end in the early months of 2017. In her appearance in YouTube series called Reality Bytes, she hinted at the reason of their breakup by revealing that her boyfriend wanted to stay together but she wanted to move out.
- George Watsky (2017-Present) – In the summer of 2017, Anna was reported to have started going out with hip-hop artist, George Watsky. In her June 2017 interview with The Times, she claimed that she felt Watsky might be ‘the one’.
- In feet – 5 feet 1 inches
- In centimeters – 155 cm
- In meters – 1.55 m
- In Kilograms – 45 kg
- In Pounds – 99 lbs
- Measurements – 34-25-34
- Bust – 34 inches
- Waist – 25 inches
- Hip – 34 inches
- Bra Size -32B
She wears a size 6 (US) shoe.
Her dress size is 4 (US).
In 2013, she made her theatrical film debut in the sketch comedy movie, Inappropriate Comedy, which had Adrien Brody, Lindsay Lohan and Michelle Rodriguez in the leading roles.
In 2011, Anna Akana made her first TV show appearance in “Knocker Nightmare” episode of the teen comedy TV series, Awkward.
Anna has appeared in a number of TV commercials including Pepsi, Best Buy and Truth (Anti-smoking PSA).
Awards & Nominations
|2014||San Diego Asian Film Festival||Digital Pioneer||Won|
|2015||Streamy Awards||Best Actress||SnapperHero||Nominated|
|2018||Streamy Awards||Acting in a Drama||Youth & Consequences||Won|
Anna Akana Favorites
- Favorite NYC Eatery – Fatty Crab
- Favorite Breakfast Meal – Macro meal with a miso soup from M Cafe De Chaya
- Favorite Lunch Meal – Simple greens, tortilla soup and beer on tap from Fundamental LA
- Favorite Dinner Meal – Philly Cheese Steak from The Bazaar by Jose Andres
Anna Akana Net worth
Anna’s net worth is estimated at around $0.5 million dollars as of 2019.
Social Media Profiles
- Facebook – Anna Akana
- Instagram – annaakana
- Twitter – Anna Akana
Some Lesser Known Facts About Anna Akana
- After several months of her sister’s death, she laughed for the first time when watching a Margaret Cho special on Comedy Central. This was her inspiration for pursuing comedy as she saw it as a means of helping her move on with her life.
- She has 6 pet cats – Jimmy, Lily, Congress, Abby, Ghost and Beetle.
- In 2013, she published her book Surviving Suicide, which comprised of journal entries she made for two years after her sister’s death.
- In 2014, Anna joined hands with comedian and writer, Megan Rosati to form a comedy music duo, called Cat Benatar.
- In 2014, she received Digital Pioneer Award at San Diego Asian Film Festival.
- In 2014, Akana formed a comedy music duo called Cat Benatar with fellow comedian and writer Megan Rosati.
- In 2015, she appeared in the films Ant-Man and Kids vs Monsters.
- In 2015, she launched her exclusive clothing line under the label of Ghost & Stars. Her clothing line included a collection of leggings, t-shirts and formal dresses with a healthy influence of cat-themed designs.
- In 2017, Akana’s book titled So Much I Want to Tell You: Letters to My Little Sister was published. The book describes Akana’s struggles and experiences growing up and offers advice to her late sister.
- In 2018, Akana came out as a queer woman during her acceptance speech for a Streamy Award.
- Visit her official website @ annaakana.com.