Amandla Stenberg is an American actress and singer. She portrayed Rue in The Hunger Games, Madeline Whittier in Everything, Everything and Starr Carter in The Hate U Give. She has appeared in Beyoncé’s music video Lemonade in 2016, for which she gained BET Awards for YoungStar Award. She has also starred in the television series Sleepy Hollow as Macey Irving.
Birthday / Date of Birth
Amandla Stenberg was born on 23rd of October 1998 in Los Angeles, California, United States.
She is currently 21 years old.
She has African American ancestry on her mother’s side while she is of Danish descent on her father’s side.
Amandla attended Wildwood School, a private school in Los Angeles. In 2016, Stenberg announced via Instagram that she would be attending film school at New York University.
- Father – Tom Stenberg (Businessman)
- Mother – Karen Brailsford (Spiritual counselor and writer)
- Siblings – She has 2 older half-sisters on her father’s side.
Boyfriend / Girlfriend / Spouse
Amandla Stenberg has dated –
- Jaden Smith (2014-2015) – From 2014 to 2015, actors Jaden Smith and Amandla Stenberg dated each other.
- King Princess (2018) – She and singer-songwriter King Princess confirmed that they were dating each other in June 2018.
- In feet – 5 feet 3 inches
- In centimeters – 160 cm
- In meters – 1.6 m
- In Kilograms – 56 kg
- In Pounds – 123 lbs
- Measurements – 33-26-34
- Bust – 33 inches
- Waist – 26 inches
- Hip – 34 inches
- Bra Size – 32C
She wears a size 6 (US) shoe.
Her dress size is 5 (US).
Amandla portrayal of Rue in The Hunger Games (2012) in science fiction thriller film, is considered as one of her best works in her acting career. The film was successful in terms of both critical acclaim and earning at the box office. She won a Teen Choice Award for Choice Chemistry with Jennifer Lawrence for her work in the film.
In 2011, Amandla debuted with French action film Colombiana for her role as Young Cataleya. The older version of the character was played by Zoe Saldana.
In 2012, Amandla appeared in a TV movie A Taste of Romance for her role as Taylor and his first appeared in supernatural drama series Sleepy Hollow for her role as Macey Irving from 2013 to 2014 in 4 episodes.
Amandla has done a number of advertisement gigs from her early age. Her first modeling gig was when she posed for Disney’s catalogs at the age of four. She has also appeared in TV commercials for Kmart, Walmart, McDonald’s, Marshalls Law, GMC SUV, Sutter Health, Buildthedream.org among others. She was seen in Stella McCartney POP fragrance advertisement. Amandla has also served as the youth ambassador for non-profit organization No Kid Hungry.
Amandla Stenberg Favorites
- Favorite Movie – The Shining (1980)
- Favorite Style Icon – Solange Knowles (Beyonce‘s Younger Sister)
- Favorite Vacation Destination – Italy
- Favorite Color – Black
- Favorite Food – Japanese Candy
Amandla Stenberg Net worth
Amandla Stenberg has an estimated net worth of $2.5 million dollars as of 2019.
Social Media Profiles
- Instagram – amandlasponsored
Some Lesser Known Facts About Amandla Stenberg
- In the Zulu language, her first name Amandla means Power.
- Her paternal grandmother had Greenlandic Inuit ancestry.
- At age 4, she started doing modeling for Disney for their catalogs.
- Amandla is a gifted musician and can play guitar, drums and violin. She learned guitar from her dad.
- In 2011, she appeared in her first feature film, Colombiana as a younger version of Zoe Saldana’s character.
- In 2012, She was named #1 Breakout Kid Actor by Entertainment Weekly.
- In 2013, Stenberg began performing on the violin and singing harmonies at Los Angeles venues with singer/songwriter Zander Hawley.
- She was featured on Dazed’s Autumn 2015 cover and named her as one of the most incendiary voices of her generation.
- In 2015, she played series regular Halle Foster on Mr. Robinson.
- In 2015, Ms. Foundation for Women titled her Feminist of the Year.
- In 2017, she starred in the romantic drama Everything, Everything, directed by Stella Meghie and co-starring Nick Robinson. She played the lead in Amma Asante’s World War II drama Where Hands Touch.
- In a July 2017, interview Stenberg stated that she had stopped using a smartphone due to its effects on mental health and took a long break from it.
- In June 2018, in an interview with Wonderland magazine, she came out as gay.