Vanessa Kirby is an English actress. She first gained attention for her roles in the BBC adaptation of Great Expectations and in the romantic comedy film About Time. She portrayed Princess Margaret in the Netflix series The Crown for which she won the British Academy Television Award for Best Supporting Actress and received a nomination for the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series. In 2016, Variety referred to her as the outstanding stage actress of her generation capable of the most unexpected choices. She gained international recognition for her roles in the Hollywood blockbusters Mission: Impossible – Fallout and Hobbs & Shaw.
Vanessa Nuala Kirby
Noo, Nu, Hot Mess, Noola Noo
Birthday / Date of Birth
Vanessa Kirby was born on the 18th of April 1988, in Wimbledon, London, England.
She is currently 31 years old.
South West London, England
She has English ancestry.
Vanessa was educated at Lady Eleanor Holles School in Hampton. After being turned down by Bristol Old Vic Theatre School, she took a gap year to travel before studying English at the University of Exeter.
- Father – Prostate Surgeon / Urologist
- Mother – Former Magazine Editor / Founder of Country Living Magazine
- Siblings – Juliet Kirby (Younger Sister) (Theatrical Agent / Talent Manager), Joe Kirby (Older Brother) (Assistant / Deputy Headmaster of a school)
Girlfriend / Spouse
Vanessa Kirby has dated –
- Christian Cooke (2009–2011) – Vanessa dated the television actor, director and producer steadily for three years until the couple started drifting apart and finally broke up at the end of 2011. He went through an awkward period when he was cast alongside Vanessa’s boyfriend, Douglas to play his best friend in Romeo and Juliet (2013) while Vanessa was still in a relationship with Douglas.
- Douglas Booth (2012–2014) – Vanessa first met actor/model, Douglas Booth while filming a BBC miniseries Great Expectations (2011) in which Douglas had the lead role. Vanessa was drawn to the actor’s charm and reportedly her attraction towards Douglas was one of the reasons behind her break-up with Christian. However, once the two started dating, female attention towards Douglas showed no signs of diminishing. Link up rumors related to the handsome actor continued as usual that prevented stability in the couple’s dating life. Moreover, Douglas was merely 19 years old when he started dating Vanessa who was 24 at that time. She broke up with Douglas after dating him for two years.
- Callum Turner (2015-Present) – In 2015, Vanessa started dating actor and model, Callum Turner. Vanessa revealed that they were so secretly dating that when she met Tom Cruise in 2017, people romantically linked her with Tom which wasn’t true. In 2018, they were seen kissing during a time together at the night time in London.
- In feet – 5 feet 8 inches
- In centimeters – 173 cm
- In meters – 1.73 m
- In Kilograms – 58 kg
- In Pounds – 128 lbs
- Measurements – 34-26-36
- Bust – 34 inches
- Waist – 26 inches
- Hip – 36 inches
- Bra Size – 32D
Pale Greyish Blue
She wears a size 8.5 (US) shoe.
Her dress size is 5 (US).
She first gained attention for her roles in the BBC adaptation of Great Expectations (2011) and in the romantic comedy film About Time (2013). From 2016 to 2017, she portrayed Princess Margaret in the Netflix series The Crown, for which she won the British Academy Television Award for Best Supporting Actress and received a nomination for the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series.
In 2010, she played a supporting role of a character named Jane in the love story of two elderly people in Love/Loss.
In 2011, Kirby landed her first television role in the BBC’s The Hour, playing the role of a character named Ruth Elms alongside actors Ben Whishaw, Dominic West and Romola Garai. She appeared in three episodes of the series.
She regularly lends her voice to all kinds of TV commercials/public interest messages. Her formerly recorded voice-over work includes leading brands such as: Mercedes Benz E-Class, Dove, Halifax, Sure & Diet Coke. In 2016, the British luxury brand Smythson declared Vanessa Kirby as their brand ambassador alongside actor James Norton to showcase the brand’s Spring Summer 2016 Collection.
Awards & Nominations
|2010||Ian Charleson Awards||Ghosts||Nominated|
|2011||Ian Charleson Awards||3rd place||A Midsummer Night’s Dream||Won|
|Ian Charleson Awards||As You Like It||Won|
|Ian Charleson Awards||Women Beware Women||Won|
|2012||Ian Charleson Awards||Special Commendations||Three Sisters||Nominated|
|2015||WhatsOnStage Awards||Best Supporting Actress in a Play||A Streetcar Named Desire||Won|
|2017||BAFTA TV Awards||Best Supporting Actress||The Crown||Nominated|
|Screen Actors Guild||Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series||Nominated|
|Glamour Awards||UK TV Actress||Won|
|2018||BAFTA TV Awards||Best Supporting Actress||Won|
|Primetime Emmy Awards||Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series||Nominated|
Vanessa Kirby Favorites
- Favorite Characters (From Her Own Work) – Masha in Three Sisters, Elena in Uncle Vanya
- Favorite Books – The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho, Awareness by Anthony De Mello
- Favorite Film – Victoria (2015)
- Favorite Band – The National, First Aid Kit
- Favorite Fashion Icon – Emma Stone
- Favorite Makeup Item – Christian Dior’s BB Crème
- Favorite Accessory – Her Mulberry Handbag
- Favorite Cocktail – A Glass of Martini with an Olive
Vanessa Kirby Net worth
Vanessa Kirby has an estimated net worth of $4 million dollars as of 2019.
Social Media Profiles
Some Lesser Known Facts About Vanessa Kirby
- Kirby fell in love with acting at age 12 after seeing her family friends Vanessa and Corin Redgrave performing in a production of The Cherry Orchard.
- While studying in college, Vanessa used to dye her hair brown so that people would take her more seriously.
- She briefly suffered bullying at her private school and was once beaten up by another drunken student.
- Her career started with hectic, 18 straight months of theatre acting. Vanessa reveals that acting on the stage is totally unglamorous and no actor gets any importance for their social standing, popularity or dating life.
- She started out as a theatre artist and quickly went on to work in films and television series.
- Since beginning her career as a stage actress, Vanessa Kirby has featured in a string of plays.
- In 2011, she made her stage debut in All My Sons as Ann Deever.
- In 2011, she was named one of Screen International’s Stars of Tomorrow.
- In 2011, Kirby made her television debut in the BBC’s The Hour alongside Ben Whishaw, Dominic West and Romola Garai. She played Estella in the BBC’s mini-series adaptation of Great Expectations alongside Ray Winstone, Gillian Anderson and Douglas Booth.
- Kirby is a close friend of the fellow actress, Jessica Brown Findlay.
- In 2013, Kirby returned to the National Theatre to play Queen Isabella in Edward II opposite John Heffernan.
- In 2015, she appeared in Everest as iconic American socialite Sandy Hill Pittman.
- In 2018, Kirby landed the title character in Polly Stenham’s Julie, an adaptation of August Strindberg’s Miss Julie, staged at the National Theatre.
- In 2019, Kirby played Hattie Shaw in the action thriller film called Hobbs & Shaw, released on 2 Aug 2019.