Saina Nehwal is an Indian professional badminton singles player. A former world no. 1, she has won over 24 international titles, which includes eleven Super series titles. She has represented India three times in the Olympics, winning a bronze medal in her second appearance. She is the first Indian badminton player to have won an Olympic medal, along with being the only Indian to have won the BWF World Junior Championships or to have reached to the final of the BWF World Championships. Nehwal is a philanthropist and was ranked 18th on the list of most charitable athletes.
Professional Badminton Player
Birthday / Date of Birth
Saina Nehwal was born on March 17, 1990, in Hisar, Haryana, India.
She’s currently 29 years old.
She did his few years of schooling from CSS Campus School, Hisar. The family then shifted to Hyderabad. She completed her 12th from St. Ann’s College for Women at Mehdipatnam in Hyderabad, India.
- Father – Harvir Singh Nehwal (Scientist)
- Mother – Usha Nehwal
- Siblings – Chandranshu Nehwal (Elder Sister)
Boyfriend / Spouse
Saina Nehwal has dated –
- Parupalli Kashyap (2018-Present) – She married fellow badminton player, Parupalli Kashyap in a private ceremony on December 14, 2018.
- In feet – 5 feet 5 inches
- In centimeters – 165 cm
- In meters – 1.65 m
- In Kilograms – 65 kg
- In Pounds – 143 lbs
- Measurements – 34-26-34
- Bust – 34 inches
- Waist – 26 inches
- Hip – 34 inches
- Bra Size – 32D
She wears a size 7 (US) shoe.
Her dress size is 5 (US).
She became the first Indian badminton player to win a BWF Series event and continued to impress on her way to winning the gold medal at the Commonwealth Games in 2010 & the most important win of her career was without doubt her bronze medal winning performance at the London Olympics in 2012.
She made her international debut in 2005 with the Asian Badminton Satellite tournament. Since then, she won numerous titles as a badminton player both nationally and internationally.
Saina didn’t appear in any of the films.
She has also appeared as a guest on some TV shows like Satyamev Jayate, Comedy Nights with Kapil and The Kapil Sharma Show.
She has endorsed numerous famous brands like Vaseline, Fortune Cooking Oil, Emami, Godrej No Marks, Edelweiss Group, Huawei Honor Smartphone, Star Sports, NECC, Indian Overseas Bank, Top Ramen Noodles, Herbalife Nutrition, Yonex, Iodex, Sahara Group etc.
Awards & Nominations
- Nehwal was awarded the Arjuna Award in 2009 and a year later, the Government of India honoured her with the Padma Shri, the fourth highest civilian honour in India.
- In 2009, Nehwal was honoured with India’s highest award for sporting excellence the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award.
- In 2016, the Government of India awarded Saina Nehwal the Padma Bhushan. It is the 3rd highest civilian honour in the country.
Saina Nehwal Favorites
- Favorite Actor – Shah Rukh Khan, Mahesh Babu, Prabhas
- Favorite Cricketer Player – Sachin Tendulkar
- Favorite Tennis Player – Roger Federer
- Favorite Destination – Singapore
- Favorite Color – Blue
- Favorite Song – Kiss Me by Ed Sheeran
- Favorite Food – Aloo Paratha, Kiwi
Saina Nehwal Net worth
Saina Nehwal has a estimated net worth of $4 million dollars as of 2019.
Social Media Profiles
- Facebook – Saina Nehwal
- Instagram – nehwalsaina
- Twitter – Saina Nehwal
Some Lesser Known Facts About Saina Nehwal
- Saina Nehwal belongs to Haryana but her family shifted to Hyderabad when she was 5 years old.
- In 2005, she got selected to play in the under-19 national team and became the U-19 national champion in 2006.
- She has a brown belt in Karate.
- In 2006, Nehwal won the Philippines Open tournament and also performed well at several junior tournaments.
- In 2008, she became the first Indian to win the world junior Badminton Championship.
- In 2009, she became the first under-19 national champion. She won the prestigious Asian Satellite Badminton tournament twice.
- In 2010, she won the YONEX-SUNRISE Hong Kong Open Super Series, Singapore Open Super Series, Indonesia Open Super Series, India Grand Prix Gold.
- In 2011, she became the finalist of BWF World Superseries finals and Indonesia Superseries premier.
- In 2012, Sachin Tendulkar gave her BMW as a gift, after she won the gold medal in the Olympics.
- In 2012, Saina Nehwal released her autobiography Playing to Win: My Life On and Off Court.
- In 2015, Saina Nehwal won the women’s singles event at the Indian Open Grand Prix Gold and in the final, she beat Spanish player Carolina Marina.
- In October 2016, she was appointed as a member of the International Olympic Committee’s (IOC) Athletes’ Commission.
- Saina has appeared on the cover of various magazines like Women’s Health, Femina etc.
- Saina Nehwal is a dog lover.