Mira Sorvino is an American actress. She won the Academy Award and Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actress for her performance in Woody Allen’s Mighty Aphrodite. She also starred in the films Romy and Michele’s High School Reunion, Mimic, Lulu on the Bridge, The Replacement Killers, Summer of Sam and Like Dandelion Dust. She received Golden Globe and Emmy nominations for her role in Norma Jean & Marilyn and a Golden Globe nomination for her role in Human Trafficking.
Mira Katherine Sorvino
Actress, Producer, Activist
Birthday / Date of Birth
Mira Sorvino was born on the 28th of September 1967, in Manhattan, New York City, New York, United States.
She’s currently 52 years old.
Los Angeles, California, United States
She has Italian ancestry on her father’s side and Welsh ancestry on her mother’s side.
Mira studied in Dwight-Englewood School in New Jersey where she participated in several theatre productions. Being a brilliant student, Mira was accepted into Harvard University for a Bachelor’s degree in East Asian studies. In 1989, she graduated Magna Cum Laude.
- Father – Paul Anthony Sorvino (Character Actor, Film Director, Sculptor, Entrepreneur – Owner of Paul Sorvino Foods & part owner in Janson-Beckett Cosmeceuticals)
- Mother – Lorraine Ruth Davis (Former Actress, Therapist for Alzheimer’s Disease Patients, Activist)
- Siblings – Amanda Sorvino (Younger Sister) (Writer, Actress, Runs an animal rescue mission), Michael aka Mike Sorvino (Younger Brother) (Actor, Producer, Director)
- Relatives – Ford Sorvino (Paternal Grandfather) (Foreman in a Robe Factory), Angela Maria Mattea née Renzi (Paternal Grandmother) (Homemaker, Piano Teacher), William Sorvino (Uncle) (Former Actor), Bill Sorvino (Cousin) (Award-winning Actor / Producer), Denessa Purvis Benkie aka Dee Dee Sorvino (Stepmother) (TV / Radio Personality, Author, Comedian)
Boyfriend / Spouse
Mira Sorvino has dated –
- Kevin Costner (1993) – Veteran Hollywood star, Kevin Costner has formerly dated a long string of famous actresses and Mira Sorvino was one of them.
- Quentin Tarantino (1996–1998) – In 1996, Mira started dating filmmaker and director Quentin Tarantino after meeting him at the Toronto International Film Festival in September 1995. He was her escort at the 68th Academy Awards in March 1996 where Mira won the Best Supporting Actress award for Mighty Aphrodite. The couple broke up amicably in March 1998.
- Olivier Martinez (1999–2002) – In 1998, Mira met French actor & former competitive boxer, Olivier Martinez at a Parisian dinner party. Throughout their relationship the couple was clicked together at high profile public events and speculated to be engaged in 2001.
- Christopher Paul Backus (2004-Present) – Sorvino met actor Christopher Backus at a friend’s charades party in August 2003. On June 11, 2004, they married in a private civil ceremony at the Santa Barbara, California, courthouse then later had a hilltop ceremony in Capri, Italy. The couple has four children: daughters Mattea Angel (born 2004) and Lucia (born 2012) and sons Johnny Christopher King (born 2006) and Holden Paul Terry Backus (born 2009).
- In feet – 5 feet 10 inches
- In centimeters – 178 cm
- In meters – 1.78 m
- In Kilograms – 59 kg
- In Pounds – 130 lbs
- Measurements – 34-24-35
- Bust – 34 inches
- Waist – 28 inches
- Hip – 35 inches
- Bra Size – 34B
Dark Brown (Natural)
She often tends to dye her hair blonde.
She wears a size 9.5 (US) shoe.
Her dress size is 6 (US).
Mira has popular film, Mighty Aphrodite role of Leslie aka Linda Ash in Woody Allen. In 1995, she won the Academy Award and Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actress for her performance in Woody Allen’s Mighty Aphrodite.
In 1985, Mira made her film debut in an uncredited role of a factory worker in The Stuff. In 1993, she made her first credited feature film appearance as the character of Laura in Amongst Friends.
In 1992, Mira made her television show debut as Sophia Eva McCormick De Castro on the teen drama series, Swans Crossing.
Awards & Nominations
|1995||Academy Awards||Best Supporting Actress||Mighty Aphrodite||Won|
|Broadcast Film Critics Association Award||Best Supporting Actress||Won|
|Dallas-Fort Worth Film Critics Association||Best Supporting Actress||Won|
|Golden Globe Awards||Best Supporting Actress – Motion Picture||Won|
|National Board of Review||Best Supporting Actress||Won|
|New York Film Critics Circle||Best Supporting Actress||Won|
|Southeastern Film Critics Association||Best Supporting Actress||Won|
|BAFTA||Actress in a Supporting Role||Nominated|
|Chicago Film Critics Association||Best Supporting Actress||Nominated|
|Los Angeles Film Critics Association||Best Supporting Actress||Nominated|
|National Society of Film Critics||Best Supporting Actress||Nominated|
|Screen Actors Guild||Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role||Nominated|
|1996||Golden Globe Awards||Best Actress – Miniseries or Television Film||Norma Jean & Marilyn||Nominated|
|Primetime Emmy Awards||Outstanding Lead Actress in a Miniseries or a Movie||Nominated|
|1997||MTV Movie Awards||Best Dance Sequence||Romy and Michele’s High School Reunion||Nominated|
|Saturn Awards||Best Actress||Mimic||Nominated|
|2005||Golden Globe Awards||Best Actress – Miniseries or Television Film||Human Trafficking||Nominated|
|2006||Women’s Image Network Awards||Best Actress – Miniseries or Television Film||Human Trafficking||Nominated|
|2009||San Diego Film Festival||Best Actress||Like Dandelion Dust||Won|
Mira Sorvino Favorites
- Favorite Movie – On the Waterfront (1954)
- Favorite Mystery/Thriller Movie – Dead Ringers (1988)
- Favorite TV Show – Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, Law & Order: Criminal Intent
- Favorite Social Media Application – Instagram
- Favorite Vacation Spot – Paris, France
- Favorite French Cocktail – Kir Royale
- Favorite Hobby – Photography
- Favorite Historical Figure – Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- Favorite Travel Pass-Time Activity – Drawing, Writing, Reading, Composing Music
- Favorite Healthy Food – Seafood, Broccoli
- Favorite Fruits – Berries, Peaches, Mangoes
Mira Sorvino Net worth
Mira Sorvino has an estimated net worth of $15 million dollars as of 2020.
Social Media Profiles
Some Lesser Known Facts About Mira Sorvino
- Mira has worked to promote Aids Research and UNICEF.
- Mira is extremely fond of vintage furniture which is also the theme of home décor at her residence.
- Her biggest pet peeve is coming in contact with germs on public surfaces.
- Mira has composed many songs over the years and hopes to record them some day.
- Mira claims to be addicted to her phone and cannot function without it.
- She is an animal lover and has owned several cats and dogs over the years.
- Mira owns dogs named Wookie, Honey, Macie, Charlie and Neptune.
- In 1997, Mira was a jury member at the Cannes Film Festival.
- In 2002, Mira appeared as the lead in The Triumph of Love an adaptation of the 1732 Marivaux play.
- In 2006, she received a Golden Globe nomination for her role as an Immigration and Customs Enforcement agent in the Lifetime film Human Trafficking.
- In February 2008, she guest-starred in the Frozen episode of the medical television drama House.
- In 2009, The actress has served as a U.N. Goodwill Ambassador to combat human trafficking.
- In 2014, she reappeared as Head Detective Betsy Brannigan on the final season of Psych and on the fourth season of Falling Skies as John Pope’s love interest, Sara.
- In September 2014, Sorvino gave a wide-ranging interview on The Nerdist Podcast in which she discusses her education and her life in China and many of her varied interests.
- In 2017, Mira came out publicly about the sexual harassment she endured from producer, Harvey Weinstein.
- In 2019 Mira also made public that she is a date rape survivor.