Luis Fonsi is a Puerto Rican singer, songwriter and actor. He is known for multiple songs, one of them being “Despacito”, featuring Puerto Rican rapper Daddy Yankee. Luis Fonsi received his first Latin Grammy Award nominations in Record of the Year category and won Song of the Year thanks to the song “Aquí Estoy Yo”. The song also won three Billboard Latin Music Awards. “Despacito” became Fonsi’s biggest success winning four Latin Grammy Award, seven Billboard Latin Music Awards, five Billboard Music Award and received three Grammy Awards nominations. He also won one Latin American Music Award for “Échame la Culpa” with Demi Lovato. As of 2018 he has broken six Guinness World Records and sold more than 11 million records with “Despacito”.
Luis Alfonso Rodríguez López-Cepero
Singer, Songwriter, Actor
Reggaeton, Latin Pop
Vocals, Piano, Guitar
Universal Music Latin Entertainment
Puerto Rican, American
Birthday / Date of Birth
Luis Fonsi was born on April 15, 1978 in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
Luis Fonsi is currently 41 years old.
Miami, Florida, United States
Latino / Hispanic
Luis’s paternal family is from Puerto Rico and some members of his maternal family are from Dominican Republic.
In 1989, the Rodríguez family relocated to Florida, USA and Luis was enrolled in Dr. Philips High School in Orlando. He joined the school vocal group called Big Guys who sang at school parties and local music festivals. There, he met and befriended Joey Fatone, later became best known as a former member of N’SYNC. In 1995, he earned a full scholarship to the Florida State University School of Music and majored in Vocal Performance. As a member of the university’s choir, Luis traveled throughout the world and got the chance to perform with the City Birmingham Symphony Orchestra in England.
- Father – Alfonso Rodríguez
- Mother – Delia López-Cepero aka Tata (Singer)
- Siblings – Jean Rodríguez aka Jan (Younger Brother) (Singer), Tatiana Rodríguez (Younger Sister)
Girlfriend / Spouse
Luis Fonsi has dated –
- Puerto Rican Singer (2001–2002) – Local tabloids in Florida and Puerto Rico speculated that Luis was having an affair with a very famous married Puerto Rican singer who eventually left her husband to buy a property near Luis’s Orlando based home. The talk about the scandal subsided by the end of 2002.
- Adamari López Torres (2003–2010) – Adamari, a Puerto Rican telenovela / soap opera actress met Luis in 2003 because they were signed to work for the same network, Univision. They announced their love for each other in 2004 after which Luis took off for an international tour. However, he canceled his tour mid-way in 2005 when his girlfriend was diagnosed with breast cancer. Luis was committed to support her through this difficult time. He frequently traveled with his girlfriend and lived in Mexico, Miami, and Puerto Rico for Adamari’s cancer treatment while balancing his professional commitments alongside. She is in remission since 2006. The same year, in June 2006, the couple got married in a lavish, religious ceremony organized in Guaynabo, Puerto Rico attended by several celebrities such as Joey Fatone, Charytín Goyco, Ednita Nazario, and Carlos Ponce to name a few. Their marriage did not last happily ever after as it officially ended in divorce in November 2010.
- Águeda López (2011–Present) – Luis moved on quickly after the dissolution of his first marriage and found love with Spanish model, Águeda. She gave birth to his first child, a daughter named Mikaela in December 2011. In 2013, Luis’s ex-wife published a tell-all memoir that alleged Luis cheated on her with Águeda. This disappointed many fans and triggered an angry backlash against the singer. After living together for three years, Luis took Águeda to Paris and proposed. The couple got married in an intimate ceremony organized in a vineyard at Napa Valley, California. In December 2016, Águeda had her second child with Luis, a son named Rocco.
- In feet – 5 feet 7 inches
- In centimeters – 170 cm
- In meters – 1.70 m
- In Kilograms – 66 kg
- In Pounds – 146 lbs
- Chest – 42 in or 107 cm
- Arms / Biceps – 15.5 in or 39 cm
- Waist – 35 in or 89 cm
Luis’s shoe size 8.5 (US).
His worldwide hit single Despacito (2017) meaning ‘slowly’ in Spanish – Luis had a very successful career as a Latin pop singer up till 2017 and was already a major star in all Spanish speaking countries. However, Despacito’s release in January 2017 brought him unprecedented worldwide cross-over success that broke all language barriers.
A Latin pop album called Comenzaré (1998) that reached certified ‘Platinum’ status by selling 100,000 copies.
A brief cameo as the friend of the male lead in a Mexican romantic film called Como Agua Para Chocolate / Like Water for Chocolate (1992).
Two-episode guest appearance as Ello Mismo in a Venezuelan telenovela called Amantes de Luna Llena in 2000.
Luis signed an endorsement Puerto Rico’s Tourism Ambassador (2017), Cast in AT&T commercial (2011).
Luis Fonsi Favorites
His favorite things are unknown.
Luis Fonsi Net worth
Luis Fonsi has an estimated net worth of $18 million dollars as of 2019.
Social Media Portfolio
Some Lesser Known Facts About Luis Fonsi
- Before his family relocated to Florida, Luis was a part of the San Juan’s children choir. Personally, he was greatly influenced by the style of the Latino boy band Menudo and often imitated them.
- He was offered a recording contract by Universal Music Latin Entertainment even before he finished his college education.
- Luis speaks fluent Spanish and English.
- He particularly picked up American English very quickly in his early childhood and was able to converse without a hint of any accent after a month’s stay in Florida.
- The last name of his stage name, ‘Fonsi’ is actually his nickname derived from his middle name ‘Alfonso’.
- He recorded a duet with Christina Aguilera in her first Spanish album Mi Reflejo (2000).
- In May 2000, Luis performed in an outdoor concert in Rome attended by Pope John Paul II.
- He guest starred with Shakira in a Nickelodeon live-action comedy called Taina in 2001.
- In 2002, Luis accompanied Britney Spears for her Dream within a Dream Tour to perform as her opening act.
- In 2003, he was invited to perform at the Miss World pageant in China.
- In 2004, Fonsi made his second acting appearance on the Mexican telenovela named Corazones al límite in which he played Roy.
- Luis won the Latin Grammy (Song of the Year) for Aquí Estoy Yo in 2009.
- In 2009, he was invited to perform at the Nobel Peace Prize concert in Oslo, Norway in honor of that year’s laureate, Barack Obama.
- In November 2009, Luis Fonsi was awarded a Latin Grammy Award for “Song of the Year” for his composition “Aquí Estoy Yo”.
- In 2011, Fonsi released the album Tierra Firme, and went on tour to promote it throughout Latin America.
- In 2014, Fonsi released his album 8, a reference to his eighth career album. He then did a tour named “Somos Uno” in 2014–15. He also mentioned that acting would be on his career path and that he wouldn’t mind acting with Mexican actors and actresses.
- In 2015, Luis introduced EDM while performing for the Billboard Latin Music Awards which became the first EDM-Latin collaboration in the history of music.
- In January 2017, “Despacito” featuring Daddy Yankee was promoted and released. On April 4, 2018, the music video reached five billion views on YouTube, with the song becoming number one in nearly every Latin Billboard chart, and the most viewed video in the world.
- Despacito was #1 on the all-genre Billboard Hot 100 for 16 consecutive weeks, a record attained by only two other songs in the entire 59-year history of the chart.
- In April 2017, Justin Bieber heard the original Despacito at a nightclub in Bogotá, Colombia. The Canadian singer was so inspired that he created a remix with his vocals within 48 hours.
- In November 2017, he released the song “Échame la Culpa”, featuring Demi Lovato, which debuted at number three on the Hot Latin chart. The song won Song of the Year at the Latin American Music Awards of 2018 and received one nomination for Best Latin at the MTV Video Music Awards. As of 2018 the song sold more than 1 million copies worldwide.
- In June 2018, Fonsi released the single “Calypso”, with Stefflon Don. The song peaked at number 11 on the Hot Latin chart.
- In 13 January 2019, the singer joined with Wisin, Alejandra Guzmán and Carlos Vives as coaches of the first Spanish season of La Voz by Telemundo.
- Visit his official website @ luisfonsi.com.