Kate Mulgrew is an American actress. She is known for the roles of Captain Kathryn Janeway on Star Trek: Voyager and Galina “Red” Reznikov on Orange Is the New Black. She first came to attention in the role of Mary Ryan on the daytime soap opera Ryan’s Hope. Mulgrew is the recipient of a Critics’ Choice Award, a Saturn Award, an Obie Award, and three Screen Actors Guild Awards and has also received Golden Globe Award and Primetime Emmy Award nominations. Kate is an active member of the Alzheimer’s Association National Advisory Council and the voice of Cleveland’s MetroHealth System.
Katherine Kiernan Maria Mulgrew
Birthday / Date of Birth
Kate Mulgrew was born on the 29th of April 1955, in Dubuque, Iowa, United States.
She’s currently 66 years old.
She is a devout Roman Catholic.
Kate attended Wahlert High School in Dubuque. At age 17, she was accepted at the Stella Adler Conservatory of Acting in New York, conjoined with New York University in New York City. Mulgrew left NYU after one year.
- Father – Thomas James Mulgrew II (Contractor)
- Mother – Joan Virginia Mulgrew (Painter and an artist)
- Siblings – Tom Mulgrew (Younger Brother) (Production Assistant), Joe Mulgrew (Younger Brother), Jenny Mulgrew (Younger Sister), Laura Mulgrew (Younger Sister), Sam Mulgrew (Younger Brother)
Boyfriend / Spouse
Kate Mulgrew has dated –
- Robert H. Egan (1982-1995) – Kate got married to theater director Robert H. Egan in 1982. Over the course of their marriage, she gave birth to two sons, Ian Thomas and Alexander James. They eventually decided to part ways in 1995.
- Tim Hagan (1999-2014) – Kate was introduced to her second husband Tim Hagan, the former Democratic candidate for the post of the Governor of Ohio, by her mother. They decided to get married in 1999. After their marriage, she became stepmother to his daughters, Eleanor Hagan and Marie Hagan. In her April 2015 interview, she revealed that they had divorced but also added that she regrets the divorce.
- In feet – 5 feet 5 inches
- In centimeters – 165 cm
- In meters – 1.65 m
- In Kilograms – 75 kg
- In Pounds – 166 lbs
- Measurements – 40-32-42
- Bust – 30 inches
- Waist – 32 inches
- Hip – 42 inches
- Bra Size – 36B
She wears a size 7.5 (US) shoe.
Her dress size is 14 (US).
Being cast in the role of Galina “Red” Reznikov in the comedy-drama TV series, Orange Is the New Black and having played the lead role of Captain Kathryn Janeway in the sci-fi TV series, Star Trek: Voyager.
In 1981, Kate made her theatrical film debut in the fantasy romance movie, Lovespell.
In 1975, she made her first television show appearance in the Alien Lover episode of the sci-fi drama, The Wide World of Mystery.
Kate has lent her voice to the following television commercials Oppenheimer Funds (1999) & Ford Freestar (2003).
Kate Mulgrew Favorites
- Favorite Restaurants – Metro Diner in Los Angeles, Ouest in New York City, Cesca in New York City, La Piccola Cucina in Los Angeles
- Favorite Fashion Designers – Rick Owens, Riccardo Tisci, Todd Lynn, Christopher Bailey
- Favorite Drink – Wine
- Favorite Wine – Sauvignon Blanc such as a Sancerre, Pinot Grigio, Ruffino Chianti Classico, Amarone
- Favorite TV Shows – Gossip Girls (2007-2012), The O.C. (2003-2007)
- Favorite Destination – Paris
Kate Mulgrew Net worth
Kate Mulgrew has an estimated net worth of $8 million dollars as of 2021. She has a house in Brentwood, California and a Labrador called Gracie.
Social Media Profiles
Some Lesser Known Facts About Kate Mulgrew
- In her early days in New York City, she used to work as a waitress to earn some extra money to keep herself financially afloat.
- She was initially rejected for the role of Captain Janeway on Star Trek: Voyager as the show producers had hired Geneviève Bujold. However, when Bujold backed out of the project, Mulgrew was asked to audition again and was hired.
- When she was signed for the role of Captain Janeway, she suggested that the character’s first name should be changed from Nicole to Kathryn.
- She was a close friend of late John Kennedy Junior and attended his funeral with her husband Tim Hagan.
- She auditioned for a place at the London Academy of Music & Dramatic Art, England at the age of 16. She managed to make it to the final stage but was eventually deemed too young for the course.
- The Seton Hill University in Greensburg, Pennsylvania honored her with an award of Honorary Doctorate of Letters for Artistic Contribution.
- In 1992, Kate appeared on Murphy Brown as Hillary Wheaton, a Toronto-based anchorwoman brought in to replace Murphy Brown during her maternity leave, but who turned out to have the same problem with alcoholism as Brown had previously dealt with at the beginning of the series.
- Since her mother suffered from Alzheimer’s and eventually passed away due to it, Kate has been a tireless activist for the disease-related foundations and is also a member of the National Advisory Committee of the Alzheimer’s Association.
- In 2006, she returned to Television and appeared in the serial Law & Order: Special Victims Unit and performed in The Exonerated at the Riverside Studios in London.
- In her very early days as an actress, she was raped at knifepoint.
- In 2008, she acted the part of Hester Salomon in the Broadway play Equus and the short film The Response based on the actual transcripts of the Guantanamo Bay tribunals. She then got back to television and appeared in the NBC medical serial Mercy.
- She is a staunch opponent of abortion and for this, she has been honored by Feminists for Life, which is a pro-life feminist group.
- She has been vocal about her opposition against capital punishment, which she considers barbaric.
- In June 2008, Mulgrew appeared in Equus on Broadway, playing Hesther Saloman, a public official who is empathetic toward the play’s central character.
- In 2009, Mulgrew appeared in the NBC medical series Mercy, playing the recurring role of Jeannie Flanagan (the mother of the show’s lead, Veronica).
- In 2011, Mulgrew appeared in the feature-length documentary The Captains. The film, written and directed by William Shatner, follows Shatner as he interviews each of the actors who succeeded him playing a lead-role Starfleet captain within the Star Trek franchise.
- In 2015, she published her memoir titled, Born with Teeth, in which she discussed a host of personal issues including being a single mother at the start of her show business career and how she felt after giving her daughter up for adoption.
- Visit her official website @ thekatemulgrew.com.