Joe Rogan is an American comedian and podcast host. He has also worked as a mixed martial arts color commentator, television host and occasional actor. Rogan began a career in comedy in August 1988 in the Boston area. After relocating to Los Angeles in 1994, he signed an exclusive developmental deal with Disney and appeared as an actor on several television shows including Hardball and NewsRadio.
In 1997, he started working for the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) as an interviewer and color commentator. Rogan released his first comedy special in 2000. In 2001, Rogan put his comedy career on hold after becoming the host of Fear Factor and would resume his stand-up career shortly after the show’s end in 2006. In 2009, Rogan launched his podcast The Joe Rogan Experience.
Joseph James Rogan
Former Television Host, Actor, Standup Comedian, Sports Commentator, Podcast Host, Entrepreneur
Birthday / Date of Birth
Joe Rogan was born on the 11th of August 1967, in Newark, New Jersey, United States.
He’s currently 52 years old.
Bell Canyon, California, United States
However, in his adult life, Joe became critical of the Catholic Church and prefers to identify himself as Agnostic.
Joe switched many schools since his mother relocated to California when he was 7 followed by another move to Florida when he was eleven. They settled in Newton Upper Falls, Massachusetts, where Rogan attended Newton South High School and graduated from in 1985. He later got enrolled in the University of Massachusetts in Boston for a college degree but dropped out after 3 years.
- Father – Joseph Rogan (Police Officer)
- Mother – Unknown
- Siblings – He has a sister.
Boyfriend / Spouse
Joe Rogan has dated –
- Jerri Lynn Manthey – Joe Rogan dated former model, bartender and former Survivor contestant, Jerri in the late 1990s. During the broadcast of The Howard Stern radio show in 2001, the comedian shared that his past relationship with Jerri was extremely volatile because they had incompatible personalities. Their differences provoked frequent fights with each other. In response, his ex-girlfriend, who was also on air revealed that Joe constantly cheated on her.
- Jessica Lynne Schimmel (2008–Present) – Joe first met Jessica Lynne Schimmel at a bar. Jessica is 11 years younger than her husband and is the daughter of famous comedian, Robert Schimmel aka Bob who died in a car accident in 2010. She formerly worked various jobs such as a cocktail waitress, product analyst for Volvo sports, production assistant for The Simpsons and was a producer of comedy shows and stand-up events. Joe and Jessica got married in 2009. Together the couple has 2 daughters. Their first daughter was born in 2008 before they got married and the 2nd one was born in 2010. The comedian is also step-father to Jessica’s daughter from a previous relationship, Kayla.
- In feet – 5 feet 7½ inches
- In centimeters – 172 cm
- In meters – 1.72 m
- In Kilograms – 81 kg
- In Pounds – 179 lbs
His shoe size is 10.5 (US).
Joe began a career in comedy in August 1988 in the Boston area. After relocating to Los Angeles in 1994, Rogan signed an exclusive developmental deal with Disney and appeared as an actor on several television shows including Hardball and NewsRadio. In 1997, he started working for the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) as an interviewer and color commentator.
Rogan released his first comedy special in 2000. In 2001, Rogan put his comedy career on hold after becoming the host of Fear Factor and would resume his stand-up career shortly after the show’s end in 2006. In 2009, Rogan launched his podcast The Joe Rogan Experience. As of February 2019, he had created more than 1200 podcasts that have gained billions of views on YouTube.
In 2011, Joe made his theatrical film debut as Gale in the comedy film, Zookeeper.
In 1994, Joe made his television show debut as Frank Valente in Hardball.
Joe is the brand ambassador for Onnit supplements and training equipment. Joe is also a part investor of the company and hence is behind some of their business ideas. He was also formerly sponsored by Fleshlight adult toys. He owns and promotes an apparel and merchandise brand called Higher Primate.
The comedian promotes a range of products and brands on his social media channels and on his podcast some of which are as follows: 23andMe, C2O Coconut Water, Athletic Greens, Teeter Inversion and Spinal Decompression Product, Audible, Blue Apron, Butcher Box, Dollar Shave Club, Cash App, Casper, Express VPN, Four Sigmatic Housecall Pro, MVMT Watches, My Bookie Sportsbook, ZOOM Video Conferencing, Vital Farms & SimpliSafe.
Joe Rogan Favorites
- Favorite Books – Food of the Gods by Terence McKenna, The War of Art by Steven Pressfield, Fingerprints of the Gods by Graham Hancock, The Book of Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi, Best Evidence by David S. Lifton
- Favorite Canadian City – Toronto
- Favorite Quote – How You do Anything is How You do Everything
- Favorite Genre Of Music – Classic Rock
- Favorite Era Of Music – 1970s
- Favorite Genre Of Fiction – Horror
- Favorite Food – Medium Rare Wild Elk with Vegetables
- Favorite Destination – Paris
Joe Rogan Net worth
Joe Rogan has an estimated net worth of $50 million dollars as of 2020. The family lived in Boulder, Colorado before they relocated to Bell Canyon, California where Rogan had lived following early 2003. They purchased a new home in the area for almost $5 million in mid 2018.
Social Media Profiles
- Facebook – Joe Rogan
- Instagram – joerogan
- Twitter – Joe Rogan
- YouTube Channel – PowerfulJRE
Some Lesser Known Facts About Joe Rogan
- Joe parents got divorced when he was 5 years old and he has not been in contact with his father since the age of 7.
- Joe first tried weed at the age of 8 with his hippie step-dad but, he did not start smoking it again until after the age of 30.
- After dropping out of college, Rogan chose to work various jobs such as delivering newspapers, driving a limousine, doing construction work, and completing duties for a private investigator to support his struggle for a break in the stand-up industry.
- Rogan had no intention of being a professional stand-up comedian and initially considered a career in kickboxing.
- Joe developed an interest in martial arts at the age of 14 and started competing in Taekwondo competitions at the age of 15.
- At the age of 19, he won the US Open title in the lightweight category. Later, he beat the champions in the middleweight and heavyweight category to become the US Open Grand champion.
- Rogan later became a Taekwondo instructor and started practicing Muay Thai kickboxing at an amateur level only to retire from MMA at the age of 21. He complained of frequent swelling around his head that left him concerned about getting grave injuries in the future.
- After mastering Taekwondo in his teens, Joe moved on to learn American Boxing, Muay Thai boxing and ultimately developed a fascination for Jiu-jitsu in 1994.
- He frequently entertained his friends from the martial arts academy and the gym in the locker room with his witty banter who gave him the idea to pursue stand-up comedy as a profession.
- Richard Pryor was the first comedian to influence Joe’s sensibility.
- Inspired by Rick Baker’s work in An American Werewolf in London (1981), Joe briefly aspired to become a special effects make-up artist.
- In 1988, Rogan gave his first stand-up performance at the age of 21 in Boston after preparing and practicing his content for 6 months.
- In 1994, he became a performer at a club called The Comedy Store in West Hollywood and at one time paid for the club’s new sound system.
- In 1994, Rogan relocated to Los Angeles where his first national television spot followed on the MTV comedy show Half-Hour Comedy Hour.
- In 1996, Rogan began training in Brazilian jiu-jitsu under Carlson Gracie at his school in Hollywood, California. He is a black belt under Eddie Bravo’s 10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu, a style of no-gi Brazilian jiu-jitsu and a black belt in gi Brazilian jiu-jitsu under Jean Jacques Machado.
- In February 7, 1997, Rogan began working for the mixed martial arts promotion Ultimate Fighting Championship as a backstage and post-fight interviewer his first show took place at UFC 12: Judgement Day in Dothan, Alabama.
- Joe befriended comedian Phil Hartman and tried to convince him to divorce his wife many times before she murdered him and committed suicide in 1998. He canceled his stand-up performances for a week due to the distress caused by that tragedy.
- In 2001, development on Rogan’s television show was interrupted after he accepted an offer from NBC to host the American edition of Fear Factor.
- In December 2002, Rogan was the emcee for the 2002 Blockbuster Hollywood Spectacular, a Christmas parade in Hollywood.
- In February 2003, Rogan became the new co-host of The Man Show on Comedy Central for its fifth season from August 2003, with fellow comedian Doug Stanhope, following the departure of original hosts Jimmy Kimmel and Adam Carolla.
- In 2005, Rogan trained hard for 5 months to fight actor Wesley Snipes who challenged him to a cage match. However, Snipes backed out at the last minute.
- In 2005, Rogan wrote a blog entry on his website accusing comedian Carlos Mencia of joke thievery, a claim he had made since 1993 and dubbed him Carlos Menstealia.
- In April 2007, Comedy Central Records released Rogan’s fourth comedy special, Shiny Happy Jihad.
- In 2010, Rogan accused comedian Dane Cook of joke thievery.
- In 2011, Rogan resumed his role as Fear Factor host for its seventh and final season, until 2012. Rogan took the job as he would hate to see somebody else do it.
- In 2011, Rogan played his first major character in a movie in Zookeeper. He was also working on a book that he tentatively titled Irresponsible Advice from a Man with No Credibility, based on his blog entries on his website.
- In December 2012, Rogan released his sixth comedy special Live from the Tabernacle exclusively as a download on his website for $5. He was inspired to release it that way after Louis C.K. did the same thing.
- In 2013, Rogan hosted the television show Joe Rogan Questions Everything on the SyFy network which aired for six episodes.
- In October 2019, during an episode of The Joe Rogan Experience podcast, Rogan confirmed that he is a cousin of My Chemical Romance lead vocalist Gerard Way, although they never have met.
- In January 2020, Joe Rogan went on an all-meat diet called the carnivore diet.
- Visit his official websites @ joerogan.com.