Gugu Mbatha Raw is an English actress, known for her role as Kelly in Black Mirror, Dido Elizabeth Belle in Belle, Noni Jean in Beyond the Lights and Plumette in Beauty and the Beast. She earned critical acclaim for her performances in the British period drama Bell and the romantic drama Beyond the Lights, receiving numerous accolade nominations from critics worldwide.
Gugulethu Sophia Mbatha
Birthday / Date of Birth
Gugu Mbatha-Raw was born on June 30, 1983 in Oxford, Oxfordshire, England, UK.
She’s currently 35 years old.
Her father is South African, while her mom is English.
Gugu attended The Henry Box School in Witney, Oxfordshire. In 2001, she relocated to London to train herself from Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts.
- Father – Patrick Mbatha (African Doctor)
- Mother – Anne Raw (English Nurse)
- Siblings – None
Boyfriend / Spouse
Gugu Mbatha-Raw has dated –
Gugu has kept her personal life discreet from his professional life and thus there is not much information available of any relation she has had in the past or in the present.
- In feet – 5 feet 4 inches
- In centimeters – 163 cm
- In meters – 1.63 m
- In Kilograms – 54 kg
- In Pounds – 119 lbs
- Measurements – 34-24-35
- Bust – 34 inches
- Waist – 24 inches
- Hip – 35 inches
- Bra Size – 32B
She wears a size 7 (US) shoe.
Her dress size is 4 (US).
She has done short TV appearances, did couple of films and have also done some theatre work. From 2009 to 2010, she played Ophelia in William Shakespeare’s play “Hamlet”.
In 2011, Gugu made her film debut with romantic comedy film Larry Crowne where she played the role as Talia.
In 2004, she appeared in BBC One’s medical drama TV series Holby City for her role as Collette Hill.
She has not endorsed any of the brands.
Awards & Nominations
|2011||NAACP Image Awards||Outstanding Actress in a Drama Series||Undercovers||Nominated|
|2012||Black Reel Awards||Best Breakthrough Performance||Larry Crowne||Nominated|
|2014||Miami International Film Festival||SIGNIS Award||Belle||Won|
|Chicago International Film Festival||Emerging Artist Award||Beyond the Lights||Won|
|British Independent Film Awards||Best Performance by an Actress in a British Independent Film||Belle||Won|
|African-American Film Critics Association||Best Actress||Won|
|Chicago Film Critics Association||Most Promising Performer||Nominated|
|Women’s Image Network Awards||Actress in a Feature Film||Nominated|
|Gotham Independent Film Awards||Best Actress||Beyond the Lights||Nominated|
|Detroit Film Critics Society||Breakthrough Film Artist||Nominated|
|Florida Film Critics Circle||Pauline Kael Breakout Award||2nd place|
|Village Voice Film Poll||Best Actress||9th place|
|Capri Hollywood International Film Festival||Rising Star||Won|
|2015||BAFTA Awards||BAFTA Rising Star Award||N/A||Nominated|
|London Film Critics’ Circle||British Actress of the Year||Belle||Nominated|
|NAACP Image Awards||Outstanding Actress in a Motion Picture||Nominated|
|Satellite Award||Best Actress in a Motion Picture||Nominated|
|Black Reel Awards||Best Actress||Won|
|Beyond the Lights||Nominated|
|International Online Film Critics’ Poll||Best Actress||Nominated|
|Georgia Film Critics Association||Breakthrough Awards||Nominated|
|Empire Awards||Best Female Newcomer||Belle||Nominated|
|Alliance of Women Film Journalists||Best Breakthrough Performance||Won|
|2016||NAACP Image Awards||NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture||Concussion||Nominated|
|Black Reel Award||Best Supporting Actress||Nominated|
Gugu Mbatha-Raw Favorites
Her favorite things are unknown.
Gugu Mbatha-Raw Net worth
Gugu Mbatha-Raw’s net worth is estimated to be $1 million dollars as of 2019.
Social Media Profiles
She is not on social media.
Some Lesser Known Facts About Gugu Mbatha-Raw
- She was born in John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford, England. Her name is in Zulu language. It is a contraction of igugu lethu, which means “our pride” in English.
- Gugu started her acting in the mid of 2000s playing minor roles in television and films, including her appearances in Bad Girls, Doctor Who, Marple, Larry Crowne and Odd Thomas.
- In 2011, Gugu was named one of 42 Brits to Watch by the British Academy of Film and Television Arts.
- In June 2011, Mbatha-Raw was cast as the female lead on the Fox television series Touch opposite Kiefer Sutherland.
- In 2012, she played the female lead as Clea Hopkins in the Fox pilot “Touch” opposite Kiefer Sutherland.
- In 2014, Mbatha-Raw was recognized by Elle Magazine during the Women in Hollywood Awards, honoring women for their outstanding achievements in film. These awards span all aspects of the motion picture industry, including acting, directing and producing.
- Gugu Mbatha-Raw was appointed Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) by Queen Elizabeth II in the 2017 Birthday Honours for her services to drama.
- In 2017, she played Plumette in a romantic fantasy film, Beauty and the Beast.
- In 2018, Mbatha-Raw starred in a number of science fiction feature productions, including A Wrinkle in Time, directed by Ava DuVernay and The Cloverfield Paradox.