With the growing popularity of online services, more and more people are accessing the internet from public places like cafes, airports, libraries, and schools. While these public networks provide easy access to information for millions of people around the world, they also pose major security risks. When you use a public network to access the internet, anyone using that same network can potentially intercept sensitive data like your online banking passwords or sign into social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter.
Fortunately, there is an easy fix for this problem: a Virtual Private Network (VPN) service. VPN services are widely available from many companies across the globe; all it takes is a quick Google search to find hundreds of options, from Surfshark vs CyberGhost and so on. However, not all VPNs offer the same amount of protection and features. In this article we’ll take a look at what all VPN providers should offer.
1) A Secure Connection – First and foremost, any decent VPN provider should be able to provide your computer with a secure connection to the internet.
This means 128-bit or higher encryption and a securely configured network that only accepts connections from clients who have the correct credentials for access.
2) A Reliable Service – Next, you need a VPN provider that offers an always-available and safe browsing experience. Ideally, this should mean no logging of your activities online, plus multiple server locations so you can choose one that is geographically nearest to your current location.
3) No Speed Caps – The best VPN providers offer unlimited bandwidth which allows users to access data at their full potential speeds with their normal ISP connections.
If you want to download large files or stream media, check how much bandwidth each VPN provider will allow per month before signing up.
One caveat a secure connection to the internet. This means 128-bit or higher encryption and a securely configured network that only accepts connections from clients who have the correct credentials for access.
4) High-quality Software – The best VPN providers make it easy to download and install their software by offering ready-to-use clients for major operating systems.
This means Windows, Mac OS X, Android, or iOS devices plus compatibility with popular web browsers like Chrome and Firefox.
5) Advanced Features – In addition to all of this, the very best VPN service providers offer extra features such as unlimited data transfers across multiple servers; a kill switch that stops your computer from accessing the internet if your connection is lost; support for P2P file sharing (downloading); and protection against DNS leaks or IPv6 leaks that can leave you exposed without your knowledge.
Add these to a truly secure network and you’re on your way to online safety and security.
While having great speeds and security are important aspects to look for in a VPN provider, other issues such as pricing, user-friendliness, server availability, and customer support are also critical factors to consider. So whether you’re looking for unlimited bandwidth or dedicated IPs, it is crucial to do your research so that you find a VPN service provider that meets all of your needs. Thanks for reading!