Susan Smith is an American woman who was convicted of murdering her two sons, three-year-old Michael and 14-month-old Alexander, in 1994 by drowning them in a South Carolina lake. The case gained international attention because of Smith’s false claim that a black man had kidnapped her sons during a carjacking. Her defense attorneys, David Bruck and Judy Clarke, called expert witnesses to testify that she had mental health issues that impaired her judgment when she committed the crimes. Smith was sentenced to life in prison with the possibility of parole after 30 years. On November 4, 2024, According to the South Carolina Department of Corrections, she will be eligible for parole. Susan is incarcerated at the Leath Correctional Institution near Greenwood, South Carolina.
Susan Leigh Vaughan
Birthday / Date of Birth
Susan Smith was born on the 26th of September 1971, in Union, South Carolina, United States.
She’s currently 52 years old.
In 1989, graduating from high school.
- Father – Harry Ray Vaughan
- Mother – Linda Sue Vaughan
- Siblings – Unknown
Boyfriend / Spouse
Susan Smith has dated –
- David Smith (1991 -1995) – Smith was married to David Smith. In 1991, They married and had two children Michael Daniel and Alexander Tyler. In 1991, Michael was born and in 1993, Alexander was born. But in 1994, their mother murdered them when Michael was three years old and Alexander was 14 months old. In 1995, she and her husband divorced. They did not have a good relationship.
- Previously, she was in a relationship with a married man which ended and she attempted suicide.
- In feet – 5 feet 4 inches
- In centimeters – 163 cm
- In meters – 1.63 m
- In Kilograms – 64 kg
- In Pounds – 141 lbs
- Measurements – 34-24-34
- Bust – 34 inches
- Waist – 24 inches
- Hip – 34 inches
- Bra Size – 32B
She wears a size 7.5 (US) shoe.
Her dress size is 5 (US).
Susan became known as an American convict who has been convicted of two counts of murder. Susan got life imprisonment with the possibility of parole after 30 years. She took the life of her own children.
On the evening of October 25, 1994, Susan Smith drove to her house, got her sons out and strapped them in her car. She moved to the nearby John D Long Lake, drove the car onto a ramp, and watched it plunge into the lake. In order to cover up the story, she knocked on the doors of a nearby house and told the couple staying there fabricated stories about how a black man had robbed her car, with two of her children inside, and had driven away with it.
Smith went public with her horrific stories, to gain sympathy. At a point, the entire country was following the story. However, the authorities had their doubts over an inconclusive polygraph test. On November 3, 1994, she told the whole truth and broke down during the investigation, saying how ashamed she felt.
Trial & Punishment
The jury took about three hours to declare her guilty, and she was sentenced to life imprisonment on two counts of murder. Susan Smith was incarcerated at the ‘Camille Griffin Graham Correctional Institution’ located in Columbia, South Carolina. Susan expressed her insatiable sexual desire even in prison and had sex with two correctional officers, which led to them being charged. Smith was then taken to a prison in Greenwood. In 2024, She is awaiting her parole hearing that is scheduled.
Susan Smith Net worth
Susan Smith has an estimated net worth of $10 million dollars as of 2024.
Some Lesser Known Facts About Susan Smith
- Smith’s father killed himself when she was six years old, and Smith herself attempted suicide at age 13.
- Her mother then married Beverly Russell who later was revealed to have molested Smith when she was a teenager. One newspaper claimed that sexual relations between them had continued until six months before the murders.
- In 1989, After graduating Smith made a second attempt to kill herself after a married man she was in a relationship with ended their affair.
- On 25th October 1994, Susan reported that her vehicle was carjacked by a black man. Her sons were still in the car. She made dramatic pleas on national television for nine days for her son’s rescue and return.
- However, on 3rd November 1994, she confessed that she made John D. Long Lake to car roll and drown her children.
- She got caught in further investigation. Susan was diagnosed with dependent personality disorder and major depression.
- Susan was then taken to a prison in Greenwood. In 2024, she is awaiting her parole hearing that is scheduled.