Sandeep Singh is an Indian politician and former professional field hockey player and an ex-captain of the Indian national hockey team. He has been dubbed “Flicker Singh” in the media for his specialization of the drag-flick, one of the fastest in the world. Singh holds a DSP rank in the Haryana Police. In 2019, he has been elected as MLA from Pehowa constituency in Kurukshetra, Haryana from Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). In January 2023, Sandeep served as the Sports Minister of Haryana and resigned from the post after the Haryana police registered a case against him for sexual assault complaint.
Sandeep Singh Saini
Politician, Professional Field Hockey Player (Retired)
4 – India
Birthday / Date of Birth
Sandeep Singh was born on the 27th of February 1986, in Shahbad, Kurukshetra, Haryana, India.
He’s currently 37 years old.
Sandeep had attended Shivalik Public School (SPS), a private, co-educational residential-cum-day school located in Mohali, a city in Haryana’s neighboring state of Punjab. He later studied at the Kurukshetra University in his home district of Kurukshetra.
- Father – Gurucharan Singh Saini
- Mother – Daljeet Kaur Saini
- Siblings – Bikramjeet Singh (Older Brother) (Field Hockey Player)
Girlfriend / Spouse
Sandeep Singh has dated –
- Harjinder Kaur (2008-Present) – In 2008, Sandeep married his childhood acquaintance and fellow national-level hockey player Harjinder Kaur. They have a son together named Hardeep.
- In feet – 6 feet 0 inches
- In centimeters – 183 cm
- In meters – 1.83 m
- In Kilograms – 75 kg
- In Pounds – 166 lbs
He wears a size 11 (US) shoe.
Sandeep became known after appearing as a professional field hockey player who scored 138 goals in 186 appearances (2004-2012) for the Indian senior national hockey team. A former captain (2009-2010) of the Indian senior national hockey team, he was a penalty corner specialist. He was nicknamed ‘Flicker Singh’ as he was widely regarded as one of the best exponents of the drag-flick (an attacking goal scoring technique in field hockey, mainly used during penalty corners) in his era.
In January 2004, Sandeep’s international debut in Sultan Azlan Shah Cup in Kuala Lumpur. In January 2009, he took over as the captain of the Indian national team. Singh is a well known drag-flicker. At a time he was said to have the best speed in the world in drag flick (speed 145 km/h). Under his captaincy, the Indian team managed to clinch the Sultan Azlan Shah Cup in 2009 after defeating Malaysia in the finals at Ipoh.
Singh was also the top goal scorer of the Sultan Azlan Shah Cup tournament. The India men’s national field hockey team have qualified for the 2012 Summer Olympics in London after a gap of 8 years. He became the fifth highest-paid marquee player at the inaugural Hockey India League as the Mumbai franchise bought him for US$64,400 with his base price being US$27,800.
In 2014, Sandeep was signed by Punjab Warriors. After playing two seasons for the team, he was signed by Ranchi Rays for US$81,000 in 2015 starting 2016. In 2014, he relocated to the UK to play for Havant Hockey Club.
Sandeep Singh Net worth
Sandeep Singh has an estimated net worth of $10 million dollars as of 2023.
Social Media Profiles
Some Lesser Known Facts About Sandeep Singh
- Singh hails from Shahabad town in Kurukshetra, Haryana
- He holds a DSP rank in the Haryana Police. He has been elected as MLA from Pehowa constituency in Kurukshetra, Haryana from Bharatiya Janata Party.
- In 2014, Singh relocated to the UK to play for Havant Hockey Club.
- In April 2004, Sandeep first came into the spotlight when he finished as the highest goalscorer (16 goals) at the Men’s Hockey Junior Asia Cup and helped India win this title for the first time.
- In August 2006, very early into his international career, while traveling by train to join the Indian senior national hockey team that was due to leave for the upcoming FIH (Fédération Internationale de Hockey) Hockey World Cup, he was seriously injured after being hit by an accidental gunshot. The injury left him wheelchair-bound for nearly a year.
- In April 2009, under his captaincy, India won the Sultan Azlan Shah Cup (a prestigious invitational international men’s field hockey tournament that began in 1983 and is held in Malaysia) after a long wait of 13 years. With 6 goals to his name, Sandeep was the top goal scorer in the tournament. He was also named the ‘Player of the Tournament’.
- In February 2012, in the final of a qualifying tournament that awarded just a single berth in the field hockey competition at the 2012 London Summer Olympics, India smashed France by a 9-1 margin to qualify for the Summer Olympics after a gap of 8 years. Sandeep was the star performer in the final, scoring 5 goals, all from penalty corners. He was also the highest goalscorer in the tournament (16 goals).
- Singh appeared as a judge on the Indian reality television series MTV Roadies (Roadies: Real Heroes) on MTV India.