Bill Murray is an American actor and comedian. Known for his deadpan delivery, he rose to fame on The National Lampoon Radio Hour before becoming a national presence on Saturday Night Live, where he received a Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Writing for a Variety Series. He starred in comedy films including Meatballs, Caddyshack, Stripes, Ghostbusters, Scrooged, What About Bob?, Groundhog Day, Kingpin, The Man Who Knew Too Little and Osmosis Jones. His only directorial credit is Quick Change, which he co-directed with Howard Franklin. In 2016, Murray received the Mark Twain Prize for American Humor.
William James Murray
Bill, The Murricane
Actor, Voiceover Artist, Comedian, Singer, Writer, Producer, Director, Editor
Birthday / Date of Birth
Bill Murray was born on the 21st of September 1950, in Evanston, Cook County, Illinois, United States.
He’s currently 72 years old.
He is of Irish descent.
Murray went to St. Joseph’s Grade School and also attended Loyola Academy which is a co-educational Jesuit college preparatory high school in Wilmette, Illinois. Later, he got enrolled to study pre-med at Regis University in Denver, Colorado. However, he soon dropped out. The university later awarded him an honorary Doctor of Humanities degree.
- Father – Edward Joseph Murray II of Clan Murray (Lumber Salesman)
- Mother – Lucille Mary (Collins) (Mail-Room Clerk)
- Siblings – Ohn Murray of Clan Murray (Younger Brother) (Actor, Writer, Producer), Joel Murray of Clan Murray (Younger Brother) (Actor), Brian Doyle-Murray of Clan Murray (Older Brother) (Actor, Voice Actor, Comedian, Screenwriter), Nancy Murray (Older Sister) (Adrian Dominican Nun in Michigan, Traveled the United States in a one-woman program while portraying St. Catherine of Siena), Edward Murray III of Clan Murray (Older Brother) (Stockbroker) (Died in 2020), Peggy Murray (Sister), Andy Murray of Clan Murray (Brother), Laura Murray (Sister)
Girlfriend / Spouse
Bill Murray has dated –
- Margaret Murray (1981-1996) – On January 25, 1981, Murray got married to Margaret Murray (née Kelly) on Super Bowl Sunday in Las Vegas, Nevada. They again got married in Chicago, Illinois for the sake of their families. A few years later, the couple was blessed with a two child. The couple finally got divorced in 1996.
- Joan Lunden (1990-1995) – In 1990, Bill had an affair with the journalist, author, and television host, Joan Lunden. In 1995, it lasted for around 5 years as they parted ways.
- Jennifer Butler (1991-2008) – In 1991, Murray started dating costume designer, Jennifer Butler. She was also one of the reasons why his marriage with Margaret Murray fell apart, resulting in a divorce. In 1997, he got married to Jennifer Butler and the couple was blessed with four child. However, after being together for a rather long period, on May 12, 2008, Jennifer Butler filed for divorce. On June 13, 2008, she accused Murray of domestic violence, infidelity, and addictions to s*x, marijuana, and alcohol. Soon after, their divorce was finalized.
- In feet – 6 feet 1 inches
- In centimeters – 186 cm
- In meters – 1.86 m
- In Kilograms – 75 kg
- In Pounds – 166 lbs
He wears a size 11.5 (US) shoe.
Bill became known for Being Hollywood’s one of the very well-known actors as he has appeared in a variety of movies such as Meatballs, Where the Buffalo Roam, Caddyshack, Ghostbusters, Nothing Lasts Forever, Little Shop of Horrors, Scrooged, Ghostbusters II, Quick Change, What About Bob? and many more.
In 1976, Murray had her first film onscreen role in the movie Next Stop, Greenwich Village as Nick Kessel.
In 1975, Bill landed her first role in television by appearing Various roles in the series, Saturday Night Live with Howard Cosell.
Murray served as the lead singer for a rock band named the Dutch Masters during his teens. He has also given various performances in different shows as he performed Go Cubs Go, Holding Out for a Hero, The Economics of Christmas, Stairway to Heaven, and Theme from Hawai 5.O on Saturday Night Live.
He has done endorsement work for several brands such as he 2019 AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am commercial.
Bill Murray Net worth
Bill Murray has an estimated net worth of $180 million dollars as of 2023.
Some Lesser Known Facts About Bill Murray
- Murray and his eight siblings grew up in Wilmette, Cook County, Illinois, United States.
- While growing up, he used to read children’s biographies of American heroes such as Kit Carson, Wild Bill Hickok, and Davy Crockett.
- He has been interested in acting since his early years and used to participate in high school and community theater productions.
- Murray was arrested by the police on his 20th birthday at Chicago’s O’Hare Airport because he was trying to smuggle 4.5 kg (10 lbs) of cannabis. Later, after the discovery of the drugs, he was convicted and sentenced to probation.
- In 1974, he moved to New York City and was recruited by John Belushi as a featured player on The National Lampoon Radio Hour.
- Bill was ranked at number #82 in The Top 100 Movie Stars of All Time list designed by Empire (UK) magazine in their October 1997 issue.
- In 1987, Murray donated a large sum of money to help in the development and building of the Nathalie Salmon House, a home that has provided affordable housing for low-income seniors.
- In August 2008, Bill performed a tandem jump with the U.S. Army Parachute Team Golden Knights at the 50th annual Chicago Air & Water Show.
- In 2013, he was nominated for a Golden Globe Award in the Best Actor – Motion Picture Musical or Comedy category for his role as Franklin D. Roosevelt in the British historical comedy-drama film, Hyde Park on Hudson (2012).
- In 2015, he was nominated for a Screen Actors Guild Award in the Cast in a Motion Picture category for his role as M. Ivan in the comedy film, The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014).
- In 2016, Bill was honored with the Mark Twain Prize for American Humor by the Kennedy Center.